Friday, July 23, 2010

Travel Day Carrick - A - Rede. Thursday 22 July

You may remember me mentioning a sore ankle. Well there is good and bad news about this. The good news, I am not as unfit as i thought I was. The pain was not from playing golf on an under exercise ankle.
The bad news, I have a serious infection caused by a bite from a horse fly. My ankle and foot swelled up and became very painful. Thank god for having three doctors on tour. many thanks go to Anne & Laurie Ryan and Michael Merrett for their assistance, and drugs!! Although Michael did mention that he does not bulk bill!!
This means that I have to miss the 2 rounds at Portrush and most likely Portstewart.
As you can see in the photo i was required to have my leg iced and raised as long as possible.
It was with great amusement to many that the ferry had too many stairs for me to climb, and I was required to use a wheelchair. Many thanks to Rae and Matt for capturing images of this for future reference. Bastards. They also found it quite amusing that I was parked at the "Wheelchair Only" table on board.
After a very smooth ferry ride, we landed in a cold and misty Larne, Ireland at approximately 12.30pm. We are in a Irish registered coach traveling north into Northern Ireland, this caused Dean our driver to make a few joke about getting there alive. We stopped for some lunch, and without being firebombed we continued along to the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge. There is some amazing coastline in Northern Ireland.
My ankle wouldn't allow me to venture down to the bridge, and I will endeavour to pluck some shots from one of the touring party and place them on here.
These shots are from the surrounding area.

The limestone cliffs here were mined, and there is a large lime kiln built here.

After a look and a bit of a rest, and still no firebombs, we headed up the coast to view the Giants Causeway.




No comments:

Post a Comment